Daniel 10:2-3 In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.
The Daniel Fast is a 21-day partial fast based upon the prophet Daniel’s experiences in the Bible. The purpose of the fast is to restrict commonly enjoyed foods as an act of worship and consecration to God. Someone who chooses to undergo a Daniel Fast demonstrates a physical commitment to pursue a closer relationship with the Lord.
The idea behind the fast is not to duplicate Daniel’s menu but to imitate his spiritual hunger. Daniel’s passion for the Lord caused him to seek spiritual food rather than physical food, which should be the desire for anyone doing the Daniel Fast.
As Daniel fasted and prayed the angels were battling in the heavenlies against the Prince of Persia Daniel 10:13. Then after 21 days the enemy was defeated and the Angel was able to come to Daniel and bring him the vision.
Let us pray and fast believing for the enemy to be defeated in our lives and the lives of others. We want to see breakthrough in our community, church and personal lives. We are believing for salvations, miracles and signs and wonders. God is building his church through Westside and as we go to this new level with our own building the enemy will not be taking a break, we need to be ready to fight, but fight not against flesh and blood, a fight against the spiritual forces that rise up against God's people. We want to see the vision which God has for peoples lives and the life of the church to be fulfilled!
Foods to Eat on the Daniel Fast
- All fruit – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All vegetables – fresh, frozen, dried, juiced, or canned.
- All whole grains – amaranth, barley, brown rice, oats, quinoa, millet, and whole wheat.
- All nuts & seeds – almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds; unsweetened almond milk. Nut butters are also included.
- All legumes – canned or dried; black beans, black eyed peas, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), kidney beans, lentils, pinto beans, and split peas.
- All quality oils – canola, coconut, grapeseed, olive, peanut, and sesame.
- Beverages - distilled water, filtered water, and spring water, unsweatened juice, herbal tea
- Other – unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk, or soy milk; herbs, spices, salt, pepper, unsweetened coconut flakes, seasonings, soy products, and tofu.
Foods to Avoid on the Daniel Fast
- All meat & animal products – beef, fish, lamb, poultry, pork and eggs
- All dairy products – butter, cheese, cream, and milk.
- All sweeteners – artificial sweeteners, cane juice, honey, molasses, raw sugar, syrups, stevia, and sugar.
- All leavened bread & yeast – baked goods
- All refined & processed food products – artificial flavorings, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, white flour, and white rice.
- All deep-fried foods – corn chips, French fries, and potato chips.
- All solid fats – lard, margarine, and shortening.
- Beverages – alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, energy drinks